Friday, September 8, 2017

Trip Day 7 - Petra

Official itinerary:

Explore Petra - We set off for a full-day walking excursion through one of the most beautiful of all ancient ruins—the fabled red city of Petra. Reached through a towering narrow canyon, the city is carved into the solid red sandstone cliffs, and features soaring temples, a 3,000-seat amphitheater, houses, banquet halls, churches, and tombs. It is said that Petra’s massive Treasury, with its portico and pillars, was the storeroom for the Queen of Sheba’s gifts to Solomon.
For more than 2,000 years, the name Petra was just a mysterious sound, a name in dusty documents. Only the local Bedouin people knew of its existence, because they lived in its caves. Converted to Islam and disguised as an Arab, Swiss traveler Johann Ludwig Burckhardt found the lost city in 1812. You’ll recognize several views of Petra from the film Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
We’ll enjoy lunch in Petra during our tour. Later this evening, we'll have dinner together at a local restaurant.

*  *  *  *  *

Thursday September 7 
It's my sister Ute's birthday. 
Happy birthday, Ute!

Another early day. For this walk through Petra we put our real hiking boots on. I decided on sockliners, smart wool socks, my long hiking pants and walking poles. With sunscreen and Tilley hat we were all set. No bus today. The walk started at the hotel. 

We were so lucky. Just this day it had cooled down a little, quite often there was a nice breeze and the sky was blue. It could not have been any better. 

Our hotel. But first some links about Petra (Wikipedia).   Petra (National Geographic)   
Petra (on BiblePlaces).



The official gate. 



If you were not a good walker you could take a carriage. 



Or a horse or donkey. 



And there is the beginning of the gorge. 



So many photos. It will be very difficult to choose. 








One of the remnants of the old roman road. 



A sign of life. Seldom. 





A rock like the head of a red snapper fish. . 



I would have totally missed this carving. I man in front leading a camel. The camels feet are clearly visible. 



Iyad said this is the narrowest point. Two men can touch the walls. 



And this was a place for a wedding ceremony. There is a place for the officiant's feet in front. 



Oh, we are there (but the light is too much for the photo). Iyad told us to make a video walking. Ok here it is:
VIDEO   (0:57)







We just sat for a while and marveled. Terry from our group doesn't take photos but makes drawings. 









After a while we continue. There is much more to see. 

James and the local musician VIDEO!    (0:26)



I am so sorry that the photos don't do the incredible colors any justice. 













Iyad encouraged us to use the "loo with a view". The best WC miles around. 







We then had a great lecture on frankincense and myrrh and how to detect imitations. 



 



Then Iyad suggested to take the higher road. An excellent idea. 



I think we had a great view from there. 

VIDEO!    (0:59)



Beduins on camels and solar panels, I love it. 



This flower/plant could give you a bad rash. 



Iyad dug up a little to show us that it is a wild onion but nobody eats it. 



Pretty though. 





A little bit of water on red sand ...



... and Carole had rouge on her cheeks. 



Close to our lunch place. A lot more excavation and preservation needs to be done here. Temples, churches, an arcade road, who knows what else. 







Lunch. Buffet. Dessert. 



This was the end for most. Only 5 of us decided to go on to the monastery. I had read blogs about it the night before. It is no small undertaking going the 850 or 900 uneven and sometimes slippery (because of the fine sand) steps. I knew James would go but I thought I could not come so far and skip this. 











Words can not discribe this experience. On several points I thought that I can't make it. My heart was racing. Fitbit told me 148 at one point. James was so patient with me. 
On a few spots are Bedouins trying to sell things. They tell you "not much further", "almost there". Unfortunately I didn't feel much like taking photos. I was too busy managing myself. 

When I came to this spot I thought if I have to go up to that next top I can't. Finished. Disappointment?



And then James said "it's here, we are here".
I had expected it to be in front of me like "the Treasury". You have to look around the corner. 



We sat for a while just looking at it. 

(Wikipedia says: Built by the Nabataeans in the 1st century and measuring 50 metres (160 ft) wide by approximately 45 metres (148 ft) high, )

How incredible for them to have accomplished that!

Proof that we were really here. 



The other four went on to tackle the summit. James shared these photos:















I wasn't jealous that I didn't do that part. I was extremely happy and thankful that I had been able to come so far. I enjoyed a cup of hot tea. 



And then of course there is the hike down!

The Monastery is to the left. See the steps where you come in and out?



Ups, didn't know I had this photo. 











Now walking the "lower road" back. 





At another time of the day everything looks so different. Passing the Treasury. 






Back at the hotel and a quick very necessary shower. FitBit tells me I have walked 24,809 steps today or 10.64 miles and burned 4320 calories. Buffet dinner at the hotel. Dessert will be no problem. 

These photos especially for our friend Kim!











We were told that one dessert is called Esh Asaraya and another Warbaat or Warbat.
I apologize if anybody googled on the first dessert before I just now corrected it. The way the spelling was given to me in Jordan that day and was actually something naughty.

Going to bed with a very grateful heart. 
Thank you Lord!

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing your adventures and pictures. I was in Petra in 2008 and was not able to go as far in. Was my favorite place.

Kim S. said...

Petra! That has been one of my dreams to see for a LONG time. Awe inspiring – and I love that they think it was a matriarchy!

How I would love to have the souvenirs to bring home that your artist fellow will bring. I thought that was gone with the 1800’s.

Thank you so much for the food shots! Even with my picky ways, I think I would eat quite well in the middle east!