Saturday, November 3, 2012

In the Kitchen

Here I am blogging as if I had nothing else to do after our two trips. I desperately try to catch up with myself ... but I got to share this!

This page was given to me by Jane (James' sister) when we visited her in Windsor, England.

I don't think she has baked this cake, but she thought I might like to have it.

When I tried to clean up our living space a little for a visitor I came across it.
We had just finished our daily bible reading (read the whole bible in a year ... recommended and list provided by our bishop) and so I enlisted James to help me.

I decided to bake it right then and there but first I had to go to the supermarket because I was lucking two ingredients.
Ready,
set,
go!
I should have greased the loaf pan (found out later). But I made a cross with leftover almonds ... since it was bible cake.
Figs (the ones I didn't have ready in the pantry). Make sure you cut the little hard bits at the end off before you chop them.
 Out of the oven after 1 hour 30 minutes. Next time I will bake at 300'F as a recipe suggests on the internet. Yes, surprise, surprise, you can find several different versions on the internet.









Bible Cake
It is very important to use the King James Bible version.

1) Judges 5, 25
He asked water, and she gave him milk; she brought forth butter in a lordly dish. (1/2 cup = 1 stick)

2) Jeremiah 6, 20
To what purpose cometh there to me incense from Sheba, and the sweet cane from a far country? your burnt offerings are not acceptable, nor your sacrifices sweet unto me. (sugar 1/2 cup)

3) 1 Samuel 14, 25
And all they of the land came to a wood; and there was honey upon the ground. (1 tbsp)

4) Jeremiah 17, 11
As the partridge sitteth on  eggs, and hatcheth them not; so he that getteth riches, and not by right, shall leave them in the midst of his days, and at his end shall be a fool. (2)

5) 1 Samuel 30, 12
And they gave him a piece of a cake of figs, and two clusters of raisins: and when he had eaten, his spirit came again to him: for he had eaten no bread, nor drunk any water, three days and three nights. (1 cup)

6) Nahum 3, 12
All thy strong holds shall be like fig trees with the firstripe figs: if they be shaken, they shall even fall into the mouth of the eater. (1 cup chopped)

7) Number 17, 8
And it came to pass, that on the morrow Moses went into the tabernacle of witness; and, behold, the rod of Aaron for the house of Levi was budded, and brought forth buds, and bloomed blossoms, and yielded almonds. (1/4 cup blanched and chopped)

8) 1 Kings 4, 22
And Solomon's provision for one day was thirty measures of fine flour, and threescore measures of meal, (2 cups)

9) 2 Chronicles 9, 9
And she gave the king an hundred and twenty talents of gold, and of spices great abundance, and precious stones: neither was there any such spice as the queen of Sheba gave king Solomon. (season to taste with cinnamon, allspice or nutmeg = 1/4 tsp)
10) Leviticus 2, 13
And every oblation of thy meat offering shalt thou season with salt; neither shalt thou suffer the salt of the covenant of thy God to be lacking from thy meat offering: with all thine offerings thou shalt offer salt. (a pinch)

11) Amos 4, 5
And offer a sacrifice of thanksgiving with leaven, and proclaim and publish the free offerings: for this liketh you, O ye children of Israel, saith the Lord God. (1 tsp baking powder)

12) Judges 4, 19
And he said unto her, Give me, I pray thee, a little water to drink; for I am thirsty. And she opened a bottle of milk, and gave him drink, and covered him. (3 tbsp)


We really like the cake. The figs gives it a different taste then the usual same-old-same-old. There is only one thing I do not understand: the page from Walsingham says 8 oz of ..butter.. and the online version says 1/2 cup which is only 4 oz but since it turned out nice I will not question it.
Here is the King James version Bible cake
which is the same.
There is also an "Old Scripture Cake"
The next day this cake would be better with a little butter on the slice. Not a problem! We DO NOT keep our butter in the refrigerator because if it is hard,it will break the crackers for James' 10 pm snack with cheese.
Since we use up the butter very slowly it doesn't stay so nice after a while so I asked James what his mother did when they were children. The butter dish was put in a dish with water and covered with an unglazed cloak which soaks up the water and thus keeps the butter cold.
I went to the hardware store to buy a clay pot the right size (the lower/wider one), a kitchen cabinet knob, a screw and two washers (because the hole is to large for the screw head).
Success!


And while I am talking kitchen ... this is my German (BJ = before James) "Rumtopf". Have not used the glass jar in years but this summer I felt like it. All the different fruits which looked so good to me.
Here is a great link!

I think I might have to try some tonight. There are lots of different ways how to enjoy it like over vanilla ice cream, on top of pudding or pound cake. If it is cold tonight I might just take an ounce of the juice in a cup and fill it up with hot water. That should warm me up.

No comments: