Wednesday, November 11, 2020

What a week

Wow, we were busy. But ... we are enjoying the little things too. Tried a new recipe Helen sent to me: parsnip and cauliflower puree. It's definitely a keeper. Gosh, was it good. It was perfect since we wanted to try out the new grill. 


Our camellia is getting prettier with every day now.


Last week's weather was incredible. Lucky for us. Sarah and Wade are having some remodeling done in their house. On Monday they needed help with Stella. They didn't want the workers being annoyed with her constant barking. So James got her for the day. He put her into the back of the car and by the time he had walked to the driver door she already sat in the front passenger seat. What a dog.


She was no problem though. We knew that she likes to be next to you when you sit on the sofa. Blankets were in order.



Next day Tuesday (election day Nov 3) Sarah was off work. They all came to visit and we all had a nice walk around Echo Lake.




Wednesday Nov. 4 I should have stayed home to catch up on things I need to do. When the weather is so gorgeous though you need to take advantage of it. James and I decided that we would like more than a walk in the neighborhood. James suggested Henricus Historical Park. There was supposed to be a very nice trail there. What are the chances though that exactly the day we were there it was closed? Oh well, we will come again.

We decided to buy tickets for the Historical Park itself and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had been to Jamestown and Williamsburg and thought we knew all about the local history but were surprised how much more we learned even though this park was much smaller and only minimally staffed because of the virus situation.  





Outside the park we could go down to the river.


There was a dock with a chatty fisherman on it. 


At the tip of the peninsula we had a beautiful view. There were benches and James retrieved our lunch picnic which we enjoyed here. 



And there was lots and lots of information posted about the site. I highly recommend this outing.


Thursday
Another full day. We had to get up early to put Caleb on the bus to "real" school and then had the twins and Stella for the majority of the day. The remodeling is still going on. We decided on Meadow Farm again. The children never get tired of it. 



I love this photo of all three "kids" having a look.


Ha-ha, and how about these kids? What is in the tobacco barn?



We had our picnic lunch on that wooden deck over the pond (see first Thursday photo) and the whole time we heard people on the other side of the tree. You can see them still there from this side. Is what actually TV News 6 having an interview. We never found out what it was about though. 


Can't help it. I like riddles. When I was a child my father sometimes had some for me and I could earn a Groschen or so (otherwise we didn't have pocket money as children).

These days, when I see one I like I take a screen shot so I can include it in the letters I write to William. I hope I hear about what he thinks.


Do you have a solution to the top one or the bottom one? 


October 31 is Reformation Day in Germany. Martin Luther is quite important to Lutherans. At his time there was also a plague/pandemic.


Or as we have heard: wearing a mask is not a political statement but a sign that you care.

No comments: