Friday, December 30, 2022

Yeah, another Birthday

Many said, oh how bad for you, having a birthday on Christmas. But I always liked it. Second day of Christmas (or Boxing Day in England) are bank holidays in Germany and England. It was and is always a fun day for me.

But my first thought is always that it also would have been my father's special day. As I like to say: He got me and a block of chocolate for his birthday. Times were bad then. Still have fond memories though. I had the best parents anybody could have.

Bad not any more. James and I feel so blessed. We often say it. Even if things are not always perfect. You read the previous blog about "quirkie" times?

Well, James likes to spoil me. So he fixed lunch on THE DAY. Sarah's blue cooler bag had also something like breakfast casserole in it. The fluffiest I had ever had. Need to ask her how she had done it. Some leftover veggies. All brought to a perfect temp with a glass of bubblies. Enjoyed in our sunroom. What could be better?



The blue bag from Sarah came also with their birthday present for me. 



I asked James to take the VIDEO (1:01 minutes) for the kids to see. The box with the butterflies was "packing". The present was in the middle.

Tuesday Dec. 27

James felt he had not done enough for my birthday. Every year I have to talk him out of that. But I had an idea since he wanted to take me to a nice restaurant. I told him that I really would enjoy the German restaurant in Fredericksburg again. We had gone that several years ago. It is still in the Railroad Station but is now called "The Alpine Chef". I called to make sure it was not closed by chance and the owner spoke German with me right away.

Surprise, surprise, when we arrived our table was ready with this sign on it. 


We studied the menu and I told James with a smile that his date was not going to be cheap. Since I was not driving I started with this flight of hot drinks. From left: Winter Sangria, Rüdersheimer Coffee, Schokoladen Kuss, Glühwein. Lovely!


I had venison with lots of gravy for the Kartoffelklöße (potato dumplings). Yes, so very German!



Birthday treat on the house. Anything and even the choice to take home. But we decided we might as well... and James had one too and wasn't charged either. 


Everybody had been very nice. On the next table too. But it was time to go walking. We left the car were it was and walked towards the river. We walked through a park. Also with Happy Hanukkah and Happy Kwanzaa.




We walked over a bridge to the other side but soon turned around. It was a bit cold. And we didn't know the way. 


The old town was nicely decorated. I forgot to take more photos. 


Don't know what made me but James humored me. I went into a 2 story antique store. There were lots of different stalls. In the very back corner of the basement was the Mechanical Toys and Music Place. I spent 3 quarters and 1 dime to play some of them. It was fun.


Of course I had to stick some coins in and use my camera.
VIDEO A     (21 seconds)
VIDEO B     (43 seconds)
VIDEOS C    1:01 minutes)

It's an hour each way so we decided we better get back. This is the train station with the restaurant. There is ample parking and we had left the car for our walk.


The weather was getting slowly better and it wasn't quite so bitterly cold during the day. We could go on our walks again, at least in our community.

But Thursday evening we had more enjoyment. Sarah and Wade had given us tickets for the Hanover Tavern Theater. The show was called "A Broadway Christmas Cabaret". 



We had never been. It takes about 30 minutes to drive there and we almost got lost there. It doesn't help when you put the wrong address in. But we were still early. 


The four singers this evening had been Katrinah Carol Lewis, Kelsey Cordrey, Keydron Dunn and Lily Gast. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere the name of the pianist who was very good accompanian a tremendous variaty of music. And also playing the guitar inbetween. 


It was a very very enjoyable evening. Thank you, Sarah and Wade, for our Christmas presents.

When we were home 10:30 or 11 pm it was not bedtime yet. The monthly newsletter for January was finished and I had promised to mail it out. Of course the computer had a hik-up about something again but I could solve it and it went. It is always a great feeling when it is accomplished. I had worked on it every day somewhat since the 20th. This time I had even written an article myself: Christmas thoughts from a visit to Israel. We had gone there 2017 (which you can find under the Travel Report tab). We had criss-crossed the country and learned so much. When I heard the Christmas story once again this year I felt strongly to do what I wanted to do ever since the trip: Sort my thoughts in the right time line. 

If you are interested to read it ... page 16 and 17. Here is the link:

The Cloak January 2023   

I would love to know what you think about it. Feel free to leave a comment even if it is critic 

And now lets hope for a very blessed New Year. James and my wishes for all of you!


No comments: