Thursday, December 14, 2023

Not keeping my promises - birthday cake soccer ball

Got a phone call from Germany that my last blog was from Nov. 2 and if everything was ok. So much had happened after that blog that I just didn't get around to doing it. And what now? About what do I report? And of that which one first?

Of course I have to skip now a lot. Good things. Went with friends to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden for the Incanto show in the evening with the beautiful lights. Took our three local grandsons to a theater performance, went to the Opera, had the first Richmond Forum of the season, and, and, and.

But first I need to talk about Caleb's cake! Mainly I need to record how I did it because with those boys involved in many sports we might have to make other ones. 

Ha-ha, for a change I read the directions. How to prep the forms etc. All sorts of suggestions WHAT to use and what NOT to use (no butter or oil). There is always the matter of what you can find. I decided on Baker's Joy with flour  because that's what I could get and it was perfect. I had to wipe the first spray off though because even that is something one has to learn.


James had bought this cake mix and that just seemed to make the right quantity.


Before baking.


After baking. It didn't matter that it had not risen all the way to the rim. Directions said though to cut the top of while still in the pan. A good suggestion because all you have to do to slide the knife across on the rim which of course makes it even.



The icing to "glue" the two half-rounds together filled the gap at the edge. All good.

I also learned (by doing) when you spread the base icing first, let it rest for an hour or so. I put Saran wrap over it and then run my flat hands over that which makes it nice and smooth. 

I had a bit of trouble with the pattern until I went into the garage to find a "real" soccer ball. I had thought it was all hexagons but of cause that is not so. The blue shapes are all pentagons. After that it was easy. But my initial nice smoothness was a bit wrecked. Well, does it look a bit like a used soccer ball?

His Mom needs to eat gluten free and told me not to worry about her making the ball. But I needed a base so I made chocolate chip cookie dough gluten free and it was all good. I had leftover dough and could even make cookies for her to take to work.



His birthday was great weatherwise too and the boys like an outside fire so much.




Many happy returns of the day, Caleb!



That was fun!

No comments: