Saturday, December 15, 2018

End of Nov - Beginning of Advent

Two major holidays in the USA: Thanksgiving and Christmas, close together. Now it's time to think of the next one.

Friday November 30 - Sarah was in her off-work time and they wanted to get out of their house. So they came over for lunch. She brought her leftovers. I didn't have to worry what the little ones might want to eat. Ha-ha, we had just taken out the bottom stair gate because when we babysit we always do it at their house. But did find out though that it is not a problem. They were very good and we had toys for them to play with too.









Saturday December 1 - Like last year I had been asked to teach again how to make a live Advent wreath. It had been great fun last year. And it was this year too. Nancye had been wonderful to order all the things we needed. When it needed doing I still had not been in the best of shapes after the knee surgery. 



1st Sunday of Advent - Carols and Lessons service at church. So nice. 
It's time to start decorating our house. The big tree first. I call it family tree or memory tree. Oh, all those memories: ornaments from my parent's tree, ornaments our girls have made when they were little, ornaments we have bought on family trips etc etc. I love doing it.


Good. Time for a break. Helen and William called on FaceTime. I love it!!!


Another tradition: the Advent candle. From Germany courtesy of my sister. There are 24 marks on it and every day we burn it a little at mealtimes to see Christmas getting closer.


The Hartensteiner Advent star can't be missed either. This one is as old as our marriage. It gets a little bit more difficult to assemble with its age but so far it's still good.


Our Chrismon tree (in the sunroom) was the first to be finished decorating. Dear James puts all the trees up for me. Huge helper. I think I have about 27 Chrismon designs on this by now. Each one in the large version and the small version. 


The Christmas cactus in the sunroom is starting to be "in the season" too.


My gorgeous amaryllis though got top-heavy and I had to make a cut flower out of it.


The straw ornament tree (I also call it our German tree) took a little bit more effort this year. Last year's tree was replaced. And we also needed new lights. James got into the spirit and found "Candle lights" on the internet and they came fast. They so remind me of the lights we had when I was a child ... after we didn't use real candles any longer.


It took a few days but finally here is the family tree in all its glory. 


We had to take care of some errands around town. Might as well just stay for lunch. Got to treat yourself when you are working hard. It was yummy.




The lace tree, it did get put up but not decorated. It stands in the loft and that's where we usually sit in the evenings when it is cold. The ornaments are laying out though and I enjoy looking at them. So many came from other lacemakers (in exchange) and there are more memories.


This year's Chrismon for the children at church is the anchor. It is 3D and needs a box. James helped me with those. I hope, HOPE, I made enough. Every year I have anxiety about that. It always turns out well though.


Happy Advent!


1 comment:

Kim S. said...

The trees are just beautiful. I especially love the candle lights.