Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A week and a half

... is not enough time to get ready for a long trip. Sigh. Friday May 17 we drove back to Virginia. Of course when you arrive after being gone for a while you inspect everything. The amaryllis inside the house looked a little rough but after cleaning up the dead/done flowers not so bad. Surprise, one of the baby-bulbs (volunteers) even made a flower which has never happened to me.


Is the dragonfly sunning itself on the bird feeder?



I had a long list of things needing to be done before we leave on our Europe trip. One was finishing my newest Chrismon design. I mailed a big stuffed envelope with one and pattern and some beads to John who makes all the Chrismons for Grace Episcopal in Paducah, our former church. I think he was pleased. This must be the earliest I had a pattern for him ... Christmas 2020?


Friday night we came back late on foot from friends in the neighborhood and look who was waiting just outside the front door? James looked it up. He thinks it is an Eastern Garter Snake and a good one to have in the yard.



Another friend in the neighborhood had a birthday and the family had come in for the weekend. I baked and cut one of the amaryllis stalks and some green in the garden. So much beauty.


Yeah, it's the Pflaumenkuchen (plum cake) again. Helen wanted the recipe. Her German class students had asked for it. Here is the RECIPE!  It's a bit sweet. I probably would reduce the sugar. 
You serve it with whipped cream on top. Yummy!


Saturday (5-25) we were invited to Sarah and family for dinner. When we arrive the boys were having fun with bubbles. Pizza on the screened patio. Great evening.



We took Caleb with us for the night. He loves to go to church with us on Sunday morning. After lunch we walked around Echo Lake to see the turtles from the bridge and had a treat at Sweet Frog. James took him home so I could work on the church newsletter. It had to be done earlier than usual and mailed (email) Monday evening. I always feel like celebrating when that is done.

Monday morning early we decided to go for a walk in the neighborhood. Progress had been made with all that needed to be done and a warm breeze was making the walk very enjoyable. I had just talked with Caleb about birds sometimes making nests underneath the mailboxes and one flew out just when I passed these. It barely missed running (eh, flying) into me.

There is a nest in it. I tried to take a photo but I didn’t really want to go too close to make the bird afraid. I am sure it watched me from somewhere. 

These boxes are for things like newspapers or notes from neighbors which did not come through the postoffice. Only the postman is allowed to use the mailbox. Otherwise it’s against the law.




Ever since William could read I have written letters to him, mailed with "real" post.  I had bought for several (?) years the yearly brochure with all the issued new stamps of that year starting in 1975. Some time ago I had found these old stamps and decided that it was real money just laying around and used them as postage to William. He gets the brochures where he can save the canceled stamps. Each also has an explanation about the design and the object etc. I hope he has fun with it.


Since we are gone for 5 weeks I decided to "pre-write" letters with the date when it would be mailed and asked a friend to put them on the appropriate time into the mailbox. Of course Irma was only too happy to do that since she thought it was a great idea. Included is even a letter to the camp in NC he is going to for a whole week. His first time. I so hope he will love it.


Almost last minute chore: cut this unruly bush down so I can put the amaryllis pots in a place where the sprinkler might take care of them. It worked last year. You have seen the recent blooms?



Yup, and that is it for now. Depending on the availability of internet you might be able to read about what we are doing .... if you want to?

We are excited and hoping for safe travels.


1 comment:

Kim S. said...

I can't wait to start reading about the trip.