Saturday, December 26, 2020

Role reversal

Guilty. I carried the amaryllis flowerpots wrong. They were in the garage, dried totally out since fall and I really didn't think they were heavy. It was time to put them into the sunroom and start watering. Something went wrong though. I must have picked them up wrong. It was midweek and everything seemed fine. In the following days though something happened to my back and Saturday December 19 I woke up and could not walk because of incredible pain. Just could not. 


Dear James was very worried and I just felt helpless. Sarah and Wade insisted on coming. Luckily they just could leave their house because the boys had fun with Wade's visiting parents.

James, Sarah and Wade decided to bring me to the Emergency room not far from us. It took them a while to figure out how to get me into the car. Strong pain medicine and an X-ray later I was diagnosed, mainly with sciatica. So glad my 3 angels had decided to take me because now with the medicine prescribed I started to, very very slowly, get better every day a little. I gained a new understanding though about the suffering some people have to endure. 

Yes, role reversal. Instead of me taking care of James he now took care of me. He even made soft-boiled eggs for breakfast. They were perfect.


Christmas was just a few days away. At mealtimes our Advent-candle burned which made it very visible. But because of the covid situation and social distancing etc nothing really was planned and I resigned myself to 'what is not done must not be so important'.



Happy to say that James feels better every day. He has started doing some walks in the neighborhood again when the weather allows. 

I on the other hand was very stationary. Some things came to a screeching hold. So sorry I could not keep up with my Advent calendar project on FaceBook. I had so enjoyed that. This year everything is so different.

Christmas Eve - going to the outdoor service at our church was out of the question. Our church also has  a streamed service though and one can find other uplifting services like Carols & Lessons from King's College Cambridge and even a Christmas service in German from an American Lutheran Church we enjoyed lately. Yes, still plenty to enjoy.

These are the days to meditate and contemplate. We are blessed, our health improves every day and our children are so sweet and caring. We have nice friends. One of them brought this beautiful poinsettia to the door. Happy thoughts!



What a week this was. 
Merry Christmas to our family members and friends near and far. There is plenty of love to go around.


No comments: