Sunday, March 14, 2021

Mother's Day early?

What happened when I commented to Sarah that I liked the hat she was wearing in a photo and said innocently it would be nice to have one like it in this cold weather we were having? A few days later amazon delivered one!

This is not the most favorable photo of me ever but I love the hat and it is amazing how warm it is. I already got to wear it several times. Lovely! Thank you! 


A few days later another surprise. A box arrived. A kit from the raddish cooking club for kids? (I had written about the "raddishkids" HERE).  

This is the message which was in the box. This was so sweet of Helen. Our trip was postponed from 2020 to 2021 and recently again to 2022 (we hope we will still be able to travel then).


The box had three recipes from Morocco in it. Appetizers, main, and dessert.


The first thing I had to do was to use the included shopping list to check whether I had all the spices.


The above photo shows the spices I had measured for the first recipe I tried out. On March 3 we had the Moroccan Chicken Tagine. It was very nice. We expect though that it was geared towards the children because the spice-level was "very tame". Of course that can be adjusted doing it again.



On Saturday March 6 we had Caleb over to spend the night. Once in a while he needs some alone time  with us (without his brothers even though he loves them dearly). I thought it was perfect to try out to make the tea cakes. 

Helen had told me that she belongs to a Facebook group "raddish kids". A grandma had reported how much fun she had to cook the same thing with a grandchild at the same time while being on zoom or FaceTime. When William had heard about it he was very excited and wanted to do the tea cakes with Omi. Omi wanted to "practice" so she knew what she was doing!



Zesting was a new skill for this recipe.



Out of the oven you have to wait 10 minutes until you can take them out of the forms.


And then you can drip the icing on.


Next morning there was one more each for breakfast. 


On Sunday I tried to make the Crunchy Kefta Rolls, the appetizers. 


I had never used phyllo dough and unfortunately my dough had been in the freezer for a while, a real while. It was a bit difficult to work ... especially since I had never done it. But they were very tasty and we tried some as appetizers in the evening.



Next day it even was very nice for lunch (usually our main meal of the day).


But the main event was today! I had an appointment with William. Orange Blossom Tea Cakes were baked today in Nashville by William and here by me.


I took a few photos of William on the FaceTime screen.




James took a photo of me. You can see the computer in the back on the counter. We were filling our cupcake "blossoms" at the same time. The forms were included in the box.



Ha-ha, William was licking the rest of the icing bowl. I can see you!


And showing off his creations. 


Oh yes, and mine. I liked to try them without the icing too.


And here is what Helen posted on FaceBook:


Yes, definitely had a good time. And if you think William does not look very happy in some of the photos ... he was just very tired from his stressful week of testing and then celebrating (probably by staying up) the beginning of his spring break.




We don't see William very often but it has less to do with the pandemic but a lot that we live 600 miles apart. FaceBook or zoom are great bridges for activities like playing games or even cooking.

This was a fun activity. We hope that we (William and I) can do it in person soon. I could be William's sous chef.

Ah, we thank the Lord for our children, all of them, starting with our two loving daughters.
THANK YOU!

PS: 
Helen says that if you are interested in trying this ... you could save $20 with this code: 5GX538


1 comment:

Happy Room Diana said...

What a great zoom time you had with William. I had a surprise for Mothering Sunday, my granddaughter drove up outside, only her second time of driving [with Richard] her new car. She looked very pale from the 13 mile effort !! We chatted on the doorstep, I hate that I cannot ask them in, it is so cold here. Needless to say she asked her dad to drive home. They grow so quickly enjoy every minute you can.