Monday, September 19, 2022

Trip Day 7 - Syracuse, Sicily

Sunday September 18

Oh oh oh, it is already Monday night and I could not start on the writing of this blog because I could not get the photos to cooperate. Oh well...

So, we had a night in Syracuse but in the morning the captain had to move the ship around the corner. The change in the itinerary also affected the reservations of the harbor time etc. As I said before the crew (captain) and guides are incredible how they arrange and rearrange things. As we have learned, the weather is making a big difference too when you are on the ocean. 

There was also a damper on the fun when we were told that we had a covid case on board. One of the passengers had tested positive. She was isolated in her cabin and her husband was moved to a different cabin, was tested twice a day but decided to quarantine himself too, which we think is very considerate of him.

This morning we heard that there seem to be two more cases (which made James and me even more careful and we started to wear masks in crowd-like situations) but heard tonight that they tested negative. Repeat tests tomorrow and we will see how it ends.


After breakfast our group started out at 8:15 am on a walking tour of Ortygia,  this is the old city of Syracuse.  We had a local guide who was very good. He gave us information in tid-bits so it was not so overwhelming.

Our first stop was the Temple of Apollo, dating to the 6th century BC.




Our guide told us that experts were certain that this is what the ruins were because of letters they have found engraved. I could not see them forever until our guide showed me a photo. I added an arrow to my photo. 



We enjoyed being led through the streets of the town, making sure to look left and right into side streets, open doors or arches into back yards. 



The local guide also pointed out details on the houses. He seems particular fond of what he called "the evil eye". They are faces on houses or over doors meaning things like "leave us alone".


A very nice plaza.



The Fountain of Diana


In the background a catholic church with a controversy. It is said there is evidence inside the building that it used to be a jewish temple but the priest vehemently denies it and keeps the doors closed to people who would like to see it.


Through s side church we were lead to the sea. People were enjoying this beach and the water.


Another "evil eye" saying "leave my child alone". I think those decorations are cute but I don't quite understand the messages. 



The Fonte Aretusa (Arethusa's Spring) is certainly one of the most mysterious and fascinating places in Syracuse. A freshwater spring, located just a few metres from the sea, that has sparked the imagination of poets and writers from time immemorial.


The Cathedral of Syracuse is quite an unusual building. In the link you can read that the present cathedral was constructed in the 7th century using parts of the previous greek temple. It also was converted for a while into a mosque etc. So much history in this church.



You can see that it has a lot of history because it is not balanced or symmetrical. 



Some lace for my lacemaking friends. It looked handmade to me (but I was in a hurry).




The local guide left us at the very pretty Plaza Duomo in front of the cathedral but Vanessa had a treat for us. Right across we each enjoyed a "graniti". We had a choice of different flavors and I choose pistachio while James had a lemon one. Ha-ha, we both liked ours and didn't care so much for the other.



Then we had "free time". James and I bought some postcards and stamps but we had to be back on board at 11:30 am because the ship had to sail at 12:00 pm. 
James and I always love watching the cast off especially if we have our room/balcony at that side.


In the middle you can see the "modern church" our local guide told about. I would have liked to see it. Somebody told us it was 5 miles away. When I saw it I thought it looked like we could easily have walked there. Oh well.



Buffet lunch. My plate: mussels were on the menu today. I took a few. 


We also had the option to sign up today for a visit to the Bridge. 4 at a time. The captain was very nice and fun. And it was very interesting.




After that we had time to keep our promise and teach Susan and Peter our game Five Crowns. They really liked it and it was a lot of fun.


Time goes fast when you have fun. Port talk at 6:45 and dinner at 7 pm. 
Ha-ha, I am slacking with the food photos. 
Appetizer: "Pralina Salmone Affumicato" (smoked salmon stuffed with melon and cream cheese)


Dessert: "Cannoli" (traditional Italian pastry roll)


Entertainment tonight were our two stewards showing us that they also can do the towel folding thing.
My goodness, it looked so easy when they did it in a jiffy. 






It was a very nice day. Passengers mingle. We are only 39 and we get to know each other. All very nice. It got late. Night, night.

2 comments:

sophie said...

I think that you and James find interesting things every where you go. I hope you can stay healthy and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Kim S. said...

Ruins and cathedrals are some of our favorite "sites" to see. I always wonder if there is anyone who would enjoy traveling with us because of that. Seems the Burrs would!