Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Trip Day 8 - Otranto

Monday September 19

We arrive in Otranto and dock while we are having breakfast. 


After breakfast two buses bring the two groups into town. Our local guide is waiting and we begin our walking tour.





We were told that those stone balls (next 2 photos) were scattered all over the town. I can't remember from which war/invaders they were.



First we went up next to the castle. At the top we had a lovely view.



Down again we walked through the narrow streets. No time to look at the weaver's work.


Here a healthy looking pomegranate tree. But the fruit is not ripe yet. 



We stop at the cathedral. Piazza Basilica. Our local guide gives us so much information at this spot that I didn't understand much.




But we did go into the cathedral. The ceiling is very elaborate. 


But the floor mosaic is truly special.  It was built in 1163-1165 and is extremely large, 600 square meters. The link gives a little better idea.





A chapel with the skulls of 813 of the martyrs of Otranto, inhabitants who were killed on 14 August 1480 when the city fell to an Ottoman force. The local guide had already explained to us outside that the beheadings took place after the young men refused to convert to Islam.


This photo of the organ is for my friend Joyce!


We were also sent downstairs into the crypt, which actually was a surprise with the columns and bays and especially the frescos. 




Outside the local guide showed us a printing of this. 


I have so many more photos which would make the blog too long. Wished it was not so. I took one here of the two upper windows of this house. The 4 pots with one cactus each are just so unusual.


Our local guide had also told as at length about Friselle. Very interesting and delicious sounding. But we can't take everything home.



I managed to spend some money here. About that in a later blog.



We had limited free time (until the ships sailed) but enough to see how the harbor looks.
Lovely. The water looked inviting even to me.




But now it was time to go back.


Through the guide under the bridge as we were told way in the beginning.



Found the ship wreck memorial we had heard about, an Albanian ship with immigrants which was accidentally ship wrecked. 


The walk around the harbor towards our ship was very pleasant. We stopped here to have a quick look at the sea.


The shadow is pure accident but I like it.


I can't forget to report though what a somber day it was. Queen Elisabeth II's funeral. Every free minute from early in the morning in our cabin when we were getting ready to our return to the ship watching it in the lobby. This is a picture I took of the big screen in the lobby. It is the long walk in Windsor. Makes me a bit homesick even though I never actually lived there. Oh, the memories.


After dinner the entertainment was provided by the chef and his helper. 


A cooking lesson with passenger participants from the chef while a watermelon was being carved. 




Another good day. The weather was perfect. The ship is sailing without much rocking. All is well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As soon as I read "church" in your post, I started looking for the picture of the organ! :) I laughed when I saw your note before the photo.

Looks like a fun trip!

Joyce

Kim S. said...

So many waterside photos. Very welcome to me as I am a beach lover!

I was wondering if you would have been able to see any of the funeral. We didn't manage to get up early enough to watch it in real time, but Jessica and I intend to watch most of it on Youtube.