Thursday, July 4, 2019

Windsor on Tuesday

Yes, we know. We are lucky with the weather. I have worked a lot on the computer lately between walks etc. The Cloak was send off to be proofread. Time for another walk. We are heading out about 2 pm. This time Stephen takes us by car to see the Valley Gardens. I remember that many years ago (35?) James and I visited Uncle Stephen (a different one) and his wife Helen and he took us there. Azaleas and rhododendrons were all in bloom, a sea of colors.

Good to be local and know your way. "Official" parking would be £10 but we parked at the Bailiwick Pub. Right away we had a good discussion going again because there is an English saying: "It's not my bailiwick". Bailiwick was the domain of a bailiff where he had authority. So when you say this, you mean that you are not responsible for it or you could mean it is not something you like to do.  A little history. Stephen actually knew right away the facts. We can't google on our iPhones here because we are not willing to pay for roaming.


The park is part of the huge series of parks which are part of the Crown "Sovereign" land. Much of it is open to the public but much of it is farmed. 

First we don't know in which direction to go until this lake serves as landmark.


The Totem Pole is also helpful. 



The trees are awesome. Another discussion ... leaving forests natural doing there thing (which can lead to incredible fires like in California) or grooming them so each tree has enough space to grow and show its full beauty. I loved this park. So much diversity and beauty.


I had to look it up, the "Thuja plicate" or commonly called western red cedar is a great climbing tree for my grandsons. I bet they could spend hours here.




Dogwoods.


This is the Punch Bowl Uncle Stephen had taken us too. Not the season right now but still very beautiful and peaceful. It was very hill. Lots of ups and downs but so nice.


And a few blossoms here and there.




Some of the walk ways were more like tunnels. I would be afraid to loose my grandsons in here.


We came to the big lake and it is very large. We went all along one side. 


A historic house on an island.



It's good and helpful to display maps but ... I find it difficult when maps are not shown with NORTH up. That's how it should be I think or I get disoriented. Oh well ...


We took a different way back. Here is a field of hydrangeas. 


After that our way brought us through a heather garden.



We decided that this was the heather Robert sleeps in the Last Great Wilderness in Scotland.



Have to go past the Totem Pole again.


And we have to go past the Bailiwick Pub ... except we can't go past. We are so thirsty.



We get visited when we are sitting outside.




And all photos with my telephone. Who would have thought that just a few years ago? I might as well sort out my collection of "real" photo cameras. 

This was another very nice walk. 11,640 steps. I am going to sleep well.


No comments: