Thursday, July 1, 2021

Half a year already gone and one day

I better hurry to do one more blog now before life gets even busier. 

Last Saturday I suddenly thought I really would like to go to a farmers' market. Before the pandemic we would meet Sarah and family sometimes at the South of the James Market. Recently that one has relocated to our side of the river in Bryan Park. James and I had visited there in spring and liked it. 

We were the first to arrive and were lucky with the parking. Actually I think the parking is better than at the former place. James found a shady spot to wait for the others.


Ah, the hugs we got when they arrived. There was plenty to see ... but no "Mrs. Yoder's Donuts". Nooooo!
The boys were disappointed. Maybe some adults too? Mrs. Yoder always was at the other place. And the boys remembered. 



But shaved iced was a pretty good treat too. It made the lips and tongue blue or purple. I don't remember the flavors (or color?) the boys wanted. 



Ha-ha, see Omi had one too and photo-bombed? (the outstretched arm from the right with the dragon blood flavor) Most of these photos are from Sarah. 


Sarah and I were very fascinated with this woodworker's stand. He was very nice and let us take a photo for Uncle David in England.


Sarah pointed out the clock on the wall. The plaques with the flasks for flowers were not bad either.


Monday morning early we had to leave before 8 am. I had just driven out of the garage and closed it when I spotted the turtle. OMG, that door could have easily crashed her (or him?) It came from the flower bed on the left.


James jumped out of the car to take a photo. The turtle decided to go back where it had come from. I love that photo and James' shadow.


We had promised Sarah we would be at her house early because she had to leave for work. We were bringing the twins to a nature camp at Rockwood Park starting at 9:30am. Caleb was picked up a little earlier for a different camp at a different place by a friend and his mother.

James and I had 2 hours after the drop-off which was not enough to go anywhere (or home) but we were very happy for the opportunity for a little hike. We found a trail map which was helpful because there were many trails winding and criss-crossing. Of course we needed to be back in time.


It was a hot day. Of course, it is summer in Virginia. But it was lovely in the shady woods. I was fascinated by the pattern on the ground. I was not quite able to master a good photo.



Yes, yes, looks like nothing. But look at the next photo. Does that not look like a mini orchid?



So far it was a busy week. Monday all day with the children, Tuesday and Wednesday church work. I met the new administrative assistant and showed/told her what I have done in those two months (since the former secretary left) ... and what not. I am very happy and impressed! Yesterday I also finished The Cloak (our monthly church newsletter) and emailed it to everybody. I uploaded it first to the church website so I only had to email the link which is a much easier process. Here is the link for 2021-07.

Today James and I had to do some very early shopping to beat the crowd at Costco. And we even did our daily walk before that. I had a hair cut appointment at 10 am. A good day. Somehow I felt like celebrating. I always do when something major is finished. We decided to go out for lunch. James made reservations at "Lola's Farmhouse Bistro". It had been recomended by our friend Julie. 
The staff was very friendly. Inside or out? Even though it was a very hot day, it was lovely under the very tall (massive) trees and some umbrellas. 


We ordered and while we waited we had visitors. This is Henry. When he lay down on the concret he looked flat as a pancake.


And this is Sophie with the reputation to like french fries or whatever. 


The menu had a very good selection for good lunch prices. James' first choice would have been the Portabella Mushroom Sandwich but since we had lots of portabellas in the fridge he had the Steak Sandwich which he enjoyed very much. I selected Lola's French Dip with salad. Oh was it good but quite messy to eat. Worth it.  
We have not "cleaned up" our plates like that in a long time. That says something. 




I had been told about "Lola's Farmhouse Bistro" by our friend Julie. Actually she has a personally story about it when it was the Fox Head Inn. I mentioned to a server that it was a pitty that there was nothing about the history on the website and she found a flyer for me. I love HISTORY. We will go there again for sure. It is charming and the food was delicious.


A nice (hot) day today and now it is thundering. Tomorrow we will drive to Abingdon Virginia and spend the night. We are a bit disappointed that we could not get a room in the Martha Washington Inn. We had been there before. On Saturday we will meet Helen and William from Nashville in Bristol and take William with us for (what he calls) Omi Camp for 3 weeks. We are very much looking forward to it. 
I hope William will help me with blogs because his Mom and Dad surely would like to know about his days here.
We will try to give him (and us) a marvelous time.


1 comment:

Happy Room Diana said...

So special to have William for three weeks, I’m sure you will have lots of fun.