Thursday, January 20, 2022

A late Christmas present for James?

(OMG, I uploaded the photos 4 days ago to start this blog ... and forgot to finish it)

* * *

James had talked about a hybrid car for a while. When Helen announced that she and William would visit at Christmas we asked whether she would want to swap cars with her Dad. Her car was aging and repairs had started. We had even considered to rent her a car for the 600 miles drive. She did not have to decide before the visit but we suggested if she was considering it she should bring her title. 

Well, she did like the idea and the swap was made. So, her car was the one James traded in for his new one. 

Of course the present car buying situation is one like never before. The pandemic, closed manufacturing places for some time, supply chain problem and transportation issues caused that dealers don't have much to sell. James had decided what he wanted and called our local dealer. He wasn't even interested in talking. But one further away where James had bought his previous car because they are so easy to deal with was helpful on the phone. Unfortunately he had been a day late. The car market is very interesting. 

Yes, they had told him that they had received a car the day before and sold the same day. So, eventually, when the weather was favorable, we made the drive to the next town to get better informed. It was very helpful. The salesperson was very nice and found out that one "not yet spoken for" car (like James wanted it) would arrive between January 4 - 8 and one in mid February. Guess on which one James wanted his name on? This meant we had first dibs but if we didn't like it, we were not bound to buying it. Frankly, it was a no-brainer. 

Thursday the 6th James got the call. Unfortunately I had an appointment the next day in the middle of the day. Fortunately I was able to change it to the following week. I didn't want James to have to wait. 

January 7: And here he is. The paperwork always takes a while so we got a very late lunch. But of course it had to be Chinese food. Family tradition. It used to be Chong's in Paducah, KY. One time we didn't do it and somebody ran into the new car. Since then it is a fun way to celebrate. 




Everybody wants to play with their new toy. So when I suggested a visit to the Hanover Museum of History & Culture James was all for it. Of course I had an ulterior motive. My favorite quilt group The County School Quilters (meet monthly in Montpelier) had agreed to a quilt exhibition and asked us members to contribute. I offered my 4 little 'Round Robins' and the curator really wanted them. 

This is how that corner next to my bed looks at the moment:


The new museum was just established last August in the historic courthouse because the County is celebrating the 300 year anniversary. We had never been in Hanover and had not realized how much history there is. 


We were very impressed with the museum and the exhibition. Of course I have seen many of my quilting friends' works but we were the only visitors and could take our time. Of course I have more photos but here are those of my 'minis'.





Above another of the historic buildings. There were signs were we could read about some of the history and we had a good time. Glad we went. Note from James: he likes his new car!

I am a person who takes things as they come. I am grateful for every day no matter what. In summer, when people complain how hot it is, I usually say "I am not complaining because I complain in winter and you only can complain once. Yesterday I phoned a lace friend in Germany and told her that we had "German weather" = a gray sky. We already had several winter storms this season but whenever we can we go for our walks. But a blue sky makes me really happy.

Blue sky on this day but it was still cold even though the sun was shining. My mother always looked at the good in bad things. Here is the good: of course I usually don't wear a mask outsides but this day it really cold and kept my face comfortably warm. Yeah!


We had several inches of snow. We had frost and freezing cold days. But look at these daffodils. Buds! They are popping up in many of our neighbors' yards. So looking forward to spring.


Oh, and I am still enjoying some of the flowers from Helen and William for my birthday.


Of all the happenings (like the new car etc) I totally missed Epiphany this year. Christmas time had ended but my decorations were still up. I hate to actually use the word "decorations" because I find all our things especially the nativities so meaningful. 

A quick photo and then it was time to pack everything up. 

Our "German tree": German candle looking electric lights and a collection of straw ornaments. As a child I used to make straw ornaments. Oh, the memories.


Our "family tree": ornaments our girls made when they were in kindergarten etc, ornaments from trips we took together, things like that. I didn't even put half of it on this year but I enjoyed looking at our collection. I had left unbreakable ones off until the three younger grandsons came and they were very happy to "help" and put them on. 


Our "Chrismon tree": I can't believe how many there are by now. But now I need ideas for a new symbol I have not done yet.


Before and after Christmas I had a lot of email from people looking at the Chrismon blog. Google had changed a setting. Too complicated to explain except it gave me a lot of work. The good thing about it was that I was communicating with many people which I normally don't get to.

But exactly when that was happening I saw this on FaceBook. I don't care about hits but I thought it was funny.


 And that is it for today.

No comments: