Monday, June 13, 2022

Day 17 - the end of this trip

Friday June 10

The alarm rang at 4:50 am. Not too bad because it is already light outside. The taxi arrived promptly at 5:30. Saying good-bye is never easy. Jane had made us feel so welcome considering that we had invited ourselves and she wasn't even home when we arrived! We hope we will have reunion with "our Brits" soon again.

We had been told by email from the airline to be there 3 hours early and we were. All went very well. James is a lifetime premium member which of course always helps. Security was very efficient too. The machine beeped for me every time when I went through for all 4 flights. I had to mention my "new knee". But it is really no problem. I don't understand the people who get bent out of shape when they are frisked a little bit more. After all it is for all of our security. 

We had two hours to hang around. Unfortunately the lounge for us was temporarily closed. So we had to snoop a little in the shops and decided on breakfast. We splurged a little because we were pretty sure that the airline food was not going to be any better. Our business class traveling is over, ha-ha.

Helen will be proud of us. She highly suggested for us to use "Airborne" when we travel. I don't like the orange juice you usually get anyway so I just ordered 2 glasses of tap water.




At the gate.


And take-off. We have exit row seats and I am between windows. To far to the one in the door. Have to be a contortionist to the one just behind me. 


I was so hoping we would be taking off over Windsor. I always love seeing it and the castle. 


I am mighty proud of myself. There it is! And I captured it. I can see the Castle, The Longwalk, Peascod Street and Clarence Crescent. Fun.
I cropped and highlighted and adjusted the photo (not bad for a free program).


In flight entertainment.



Ha-ha, we were right.




The dessert was surprisingly good.



We landed in Philadelphia shortly after noon. Soon we had found the lounge. Our next flight was just shortly before 4 pm. The hot mushroom soup felt very good.


By PHL.


Welcome RIC. Ah, warm weather greeted us. We took an Uber home. When James tried the first time he was shocked. The price was 3x the one we took going out. When we had our luggage James tried again and this time it was what it should be. 

Sarah had offered to stock up our fridge but we didn't think we needed anything. The leftover milk I had meant to put into the freezer was sour in the fridge.  We needed steps so we decided to walk to Publix for milk and salad kits. It felt really good.


James and I have talked a lot about how many really nice people we had met in England and in Ireland. Natives and immigrants alike. Friendly, helpful and social. Actually, we didn't meet anybody who was not like that. 

And having had time with Kate and David and Jane was special as always We are home with a very good feeling. And we thank the Lord that we were able to do this trip. 

No comments: