Friday, June 3, 2022

Day 9 - the day of the exploding egg

Thursday June 2

The 'Trooping of the Colour' in honor of the Queen's 70 year Jubilee will be on TV this morning, so we are taking our time. Everyone took care of their own breakfast in the morning but we had bought 6 eggs so I asked whether anybody would like a soft boiled one. James and David raised their hands and I went to it. I found a small pot for 3 eggs. The water didn't want to boil. The pot was wobbly on the glass top. I went to the next size which seemed to sit better. Finally I could lower the eggs in the water and set my timer for 5 minutes. At home that would be just right since the eggs were room temperature.  Again the water took its time. Too bad there were no directions for this stove. The buttons and settings were something I had not seen before. The result: the eggs were still a bit runny.

David happily ate his. I decided to give it a short zap in the microwave. James stood waiting with his. If the stove was difficult to figure out, the microwave was stranger. It had buttons for power levels up to 900. I started with 180 and then 360. The egg was opened. I was very careful ... I thought. When I thought it should be ready I opened the door and BANG ... egg everywhere, because the door was open. 


And on the floor still runny. I started to clean up. David wanted to help immediately but I had made the mess. James kept looking around between kitchen and dining table where he had left his egg? Ha-ha, finally I realized that he had dropped his because he had been so startled from the loud sudden BANG.


May be scrambled eggs next time.

When we had inquired yesterday at Newgrange for tickets we were told to try the internet at 9:30 am today whether there had been a cancellation (which is strange because I thought the website said that the tickets were permanent and no refund). I tried since we had wifi in the house. No luck. But I tried again and yes, suddenly there were 8 available for 9:15 am on Sunday. I was told to 'grab' the 4 we needed. James helped me but it took three different credit cards to finally have the acceptance. We are excited. This better be worth it after all this stressing over it!


The "Trooping of the Colour" was enjoyable. The TV is very nice and Kate knows how to work the remote (Sarah and Helen know our issues with TVs and remotes). 
James remembered that he actually went to it twice as a child in person and had great memories.




And then we decided on an outing. Kate suggested to drive to the beach in Clogherhead. The lady in the tourist office in Drogheda had told us that it was a very nice place. At the end of the day we decided that she was right.


Unfortunately it was not the best day for a beach. It was cold. The four of us were bundled up. Kate even pulled her hoody onto her head. 



We could not believe seeing a lady in a bathing suit slowly walk into the sea. She didn't seem to be in any hurry to come out either.


Soon we came back to the parking place where there was a lifeboat station. It had a gift shop.


Of course I found the painted rocks (obviously by children) very interesting.




When Kate arrived at the gift shop two ladies (volunteers) were just leaving because obviously there would be no more customers today. One of them stayed and opened up for us again. She told us that the day before was a nice day at the beach with people but they only took in about 5 pounds. Well, her opening for us was worth it. I helped her out, ha-ha. We had a nice chat ... where we were from etc. The station actually had the RNLI (Royal Nashional Life Boat Institution) sign and David wondered about what the R stands for - Royal-and we are in Ireland?  No royals here. The lady was very familiar with Bournemouth which is an important training station. She told us that her brother had worked there for 30 years. How small the world is.
She asked whether we wanted to see the 5 million dollar lifeboat and David of course was keen on that. She called her colleague from above who is the only paid person because he is the mechanic. Everybody else are volunteers 
He seemed very happy to show us around and it was so interesting. 






He told us that every Saturday at 9:30 am they roll the boat out for a training exercise and we would be welcome to watch. We might just show up for that, hoping the weather would be nicer.


I paid for my purchases and we asked the lady what else we might do here. She suggested the harbor and gave us directions. It was easy to find. We parked in front of the fish market. The friendly lady also thought that we could get a cup of tea there and told us about fish chowder. 


Almost all is brought in by the fishermen. Kate has a tea. David has a chowder. James and I share one.


It was the most delicious I ever had!



When I brought the empty cups back into the shop because I could not find a trash can I told them that I regretted to have just shared one with my husband and not had my own. The man's face lit up. Everybody is so incredibly friendly here.

The others had gone to the edge and pointed to a seal in the water. He was bit far away though to take a good photo.


Ha-ha, can you see his nose? Still, it is always exciting to see wildlife.


We walked down to the harbor where the fishermen were hard at work with the nets.






And there were the grey seals obviously waiting for discarded fish. Just like the birds.




We went a different way home and then decided instead of "turning right when you see the church" in Donore to go straight ahead. The next village/town was about 4 miles further. Duleek was charming and Kate found a parking spot to go into the pub. Again, the server was so friendly. We had seen a sign about live music. When David asked whether there might be some Irish traditional music she went out of her way to find out what the musicians were going to play. The manager of the pub came to our table. He too chatted with us a while.

James enjoyed his draft Guinness. 



Another nice experience at the Nanny's pub. But it was too early for dinner. And we had a lasagne Kate put into the oven later.


We heard the rain.

We played our game. Kate did not win this time. I did.

We also played the Left Right Center game which they didn't know yet. Another day filled with good experiences. Yes, even the exploding egg was kind of funny. 

And as it seems that David and Kate's children are waiting for the blogs, I really would like some comments on the bottom.


1 comment:

Bec Taylor said...

Here you are Christa! Loving reading what you have all been up to, especially the exploding egg!! Keep them coming and try and get Mum to send some photos too!