Monday, March 2, 2015

Asia Trip - Day 22 - Siem Reap, Cambodia

Mon 2
Phnom Penh • Fly to Siem Reap
This morning, we depart to the airport for our flight to Siem Reap.
We'll arrive in Siem Reap in time for an included lunch at a local restaurant before checking in to our hotel. After an orientation walk, we'll depart for the Angkor National Museum, where we will view its impressive collections relating to the history of Khmer civilization and the story behind the Angkor temples. Then, our tour continues with a stroll through the Royal Independence Gardens and a visit to the city's lively Pub Street area. We'll enjoy dinner tonight at a local restaurant.

1 of 3 nights SOKHA ROTH HOTEL
Tel: 011 85 5 6396 8867
Fax: 011 85 5 6396 7867

Wake-up call wasn't at an unearthly hour and breakfast was nice as usual. The bus brought us to the airport for the domestic flight. For most of us everything went as always and we were waiting at the gate for time to tick away. Only poor Connie had a problem since she wasn't in the computer. Instead Kathy W. was in there twice. Of course Ole sorted it out for her and she is one who can handle stress like that anyway. Finally they arrived at the gate too.

It was a very short flight (30 min) and all went well.
Big Landscape shortly before landing.

After we landed though Connie told us that it was not her day. Her seat neighbor had thrown up something awful. Now she was waiting for #3 to happen. Things always happen in threes.
Our first stop was lunch though. It was good as always but I am sorry to say That slowly after 3 weeks I am getting hallucinations of my salads.

After lunch we visited the National Museum which was mainly about Angkor Wat. The museum was fairly new and excellent. It prepared us for what we are going to see tomorrow. But of course no photos allowed in the exhibition halls. These photos are taken in the entry and hallways.

At the end we had just a little time left over so we had a coffee in the cafe where there was a lonely fish in a medium size aquarium. Gary found out that it was a Flower Horn Fish.

On the way to the hotel we stopped briefly at a park. Our new local guide ... wanted to show us the tree with the fruit bats. There were hundreds of them.

Our hotel is only one year old. Very nice. No complaints. This is the view from our room. James said that he didn't feel like going swimming. 8 minutes later he was in it.

After some relaxation and a happy hour drink at the bar next to the pool we were taken to dinner by bus.

It was a hot day. One needs a shower before one falls into bed. Hot and humid!

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh about your salad hallucination. I don’t think that anyone could go somewhere THAT different for that amount of time and NOT long for some familiar food!