Wednesday, June 19, 2019

More Germany

Saturday June 18

This is going to be an exciting weekend. But first a walk over for the pot of coffee.



Manu texted (using the Telegram app which works great in Europe) a reminder what we did 2 years ago. William and I visited in Germany while Helen and James walked the Camino in Spain. Hope William remembers the great times we had. Everybody spoiled us to the max.


Ute had invited friends and family to a gathering at 12:30 pm at Bauer Südfeld. Unfortunately it started just at that time with a downpour. Oh well. As James always says "it's only water".

A room was reserved for us. We were going to be 18 I think.


While things were getting organized some wanted to see the little piglets. Well, I can't miss that!




I usually relay heavily on the info on photos what happened when. But with the time differences it really doesn't matter. Finally we all set around the tables and enjoying our food.

James had the 
Kalbsleber "Berliner Art" 
gebratene Kalbsleber · Röstzwiebeln · gebratene Apfelscheiben · Kartoffelpüree · Beilagensalat


And I hadVon heimischen Feldern
Portion feldfrischer Stangenspargel (ca. 500g)
neue Kartoffeln · frische Kräuter · wahlweise Sauce Hollandaise
... gebratenem Lachsfilet


Well, the sun started making a debut and we all enjoyed being outside. 


Maren, our own professional photographer, took photos of everybody. It didn't take long but we all had fun. First she took a group photo of all but of course she was missing. Then we gave the camera to a stranger who was happy to do it. Maren told us that that one did not turn out very well but she will send us a link. So, most likely this blog will be amended later. Here are the few I took. I had one of those days were I didn't think of doing it.






I like parties where people move around (I try) and get to talk with everybody that way. Because the weather had become so nice we sat outside and had coffee and cake.





You know how I like rhubarb. Can you believe that they had rhubarb-lemonade? Quite nice!


Well, but of course the festivities had to come to an end. Everybody scattered with the promise to meet next day for brunch except Gisela and Gerhard and Inge.

Since we had Ute in the car I asked whether we could stop at the cemetery where our mother's grave is and we did. The days of our visit were going so fast and the weather was unpredictable that I didn't want to miss it. A bittersweet moment.

We brought Ute home but didn't stay long. It was getting late and it had been a day filled with visits. As soon as James and I were at the hotel though and changed I knew what the matter was. I needed a walk. James is always up for it and we went across the street into a park I didn't know but James had found on his walks before getting ready for the day.

It used to be a cemetery but now was a park with sculptures here and there. There were also still some graves but everything was very tasteful and peaceful. 





The walk did wonders for me and back in the hotel room I even managed to write the cards I had bought earlier.





Sonntag

Cousin Eva (from our mother's side) from Jena and her friend Walter had happily accepted Ute's invitation and so had her son Alex and his wife Lori. We do not see each other that often and had looked forward to it. So, of course we had to make the most of it as agreed the day before. Maren had reserved a table (ha-ha, actually several arranged together) for 10 am at the Cafe del Sol. It has a reputation for a good Sunday morning brunch buffet. 

I had tea and it was served very impressive. 


Could not resist taking this photo. I had to hurry though because this was actually unusual. James and I are very impressed how much these teenagers like to be in everybody's company, participate in discussions and are very polite.


Cornelia had came today for this too. She is a cousin from our father's side. She lives about one hour's drive away.


I am sitting next to Lori, Alex, Eva and Walter.




We chatted a long time. Loooong. But finally Alex and Lori had to start heading back to Jena and Eva and Walter wanted to go all the way to Berlin. Nothing just around the corner. Conny too had to leave.

For 4 pm we were invited into Tobi and Manu's garden for cake. Not that anybody really needed more to eat but it was lovely.








When James, Ute and I were leaving ...



I cropped the photos. Isn't it great to have a wonderfully crazy family?



It will be a while until we see again. Sigh.

No comments: