Sunday, June 30, 2019

Windsor on Friday and Saturday

Yeah! I think I can say I am up-to-date with the blogs.

Friday

We wandered around town and it happened to be band-time, changing of the guard in the castle. Stephen and James went down to the barracks and walked up with them. I stayed with "Queen Victoria" (the statue). Most of the video and photos are from James. I managed to cut, arrange and assemble the clips into one.

VIDEO!     (2:49)



In the afternoon James and Stephen wanted to walk the Long Walk from Windsor Castle to the Copper Horse (statue). It's a lovely walk (3 miles each way) but I started working on the Cloak (our church monthly newsletter) and decided not to. Here are his photos! He said that they saw hundreds of deer. 






Saturday

Jane had to be in the morning in the church manning the "surgery", which means somebody is there in case somebody has a question about getting married or baptism. I guess you could call it office hour.

We wanted to go uptown and dropped by the church, the church James grew up in. How many years have I been in it? Never knew there was also a sedilia. Enjoyed several different laces and the floor mosaics. 







Jane took us also into the back where more interesting things were.


OMG, James' old cassock. His name is still in it.


From the church we went through the town. Just enjoyed walking around and popped into shops. I saw something I might have to buy.

On the way back I saw this self-sown double poppy at the edge of a sidewalk. I googled on it since it looked so different then other poppies. Here is what I found:
If you are a fan of peonies and can’t get enough or have difficulty growing them, then you may want to consider growing peony poppies (Papaver paeoniflorum), also known as double poppies. I know what you’re thinking….poppies, aren’t they illegal? Don’t click off this article just yet; keep reading for additional double poppy info. Based on my understanding, while double poppy plants are a sub-type of the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum), they possess a much lower morphine content, making it perfectly legal to grow this particular variant in the garden – provided your intention is to enjoy it strictly for its aesthetics. Read on to learn more about growing double flowering poppies. Each individual flower will last roughly 3-8 days before the petals start dropping, at which point you will want to cut off the bloom. The regular practice of deadheading throughout the summer will encourage the formation of new buds and ensure longer lasting blooms.
Isn't it beautiful?


Back home. Back to working on the computer.

Ha-ha, the first sentence in this blog ... wrong. Photos didn't come. The video took forever. Oh well....


No comments: