Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Busy December beginning

Actually it was the last day of November but the Advent wreath workshop is always on the Saturday before the 1st Sunday of Advent. James and I collected free greenery from places selling Christmas trees Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. They are usually very happy for you to "clean up" their cut-offs from the sold trees. The group was a bit small this year but actually two more happen not be in the photo. We all did enjoy making the wreaths and socializing.


We were entertained by what was going on outside the window. First I spotted that the pumpkins were somebody's smorgasbord. 


Not much later we saw who partook. 



The first of December is when you traditionally start with your Advent calendar so it was important that the winner of this year's raffle was drawn. Maggie was the lucky one. She probably could have sold it right then and there because of lots people really would have liked to win it. I blogged about this Advent calendar HERE!


Yes, time to start the decorating at home too. James and I don't find it to be a chore. We really enjoy it very much, wallowing in memories. 


Just before the wreath workshop I had seen a picture of this gnome made on a tomato cage. I thought it was cute and I had to try it. I had lots of greenery left from the workshop. More memories. My Danish friend Lise always had talked about her "nisser". She left this earth way too early and I still miss her.



I was busy making this year's small Chrismons for the children in our church and also getting ready for a workshop for those who want to learn how to make them. 


Saturday December 7 we got together. I teach making them with the big beads which is easier for most. Like every year when we are done we go into the sanctuary and hang them up on the church tree. But of course everybody who made one for the church goes home with a small one.


Yippee! The weather was not quite so cold and we finally managed to arrange things in the garage so my new car fits in. 


Ah, and then the week of "the events". On Wednesday (the 11th) at 10 am the neighborhood "knit, stitch and tat" group came. We have monthly meetings of 2 hours for handwork and take turns hosting in our homes.



In the evening was the ECW Christmas party at church. We did some feasting, singing and played a gift game with the result that shelters were receiving a lot of new socks.



On Thursday (12) German ladies came to our house for lunch. I stumbled into this group of lovely German friends some time ago and sometimes one of them invites everybody for a "Kaffeeklatsch". Well, it had to be a "Lunch-klatsch" this time. I forgot to take photos though.

The reason why it had to be lunch and not coffee: I had committed to Sarah to join her to take the children to the "Legendary Santa" who actually comes down the chimney into the Children's Science Museum. Her family gets invited every year but Wade could not go. Papa came too and it was actually a lot of fun since we had never experienced it.

VIDEO!     (1:25)  Santa is arriving. He has an Elf helping him and the Snow queen is there too.







And Saturday my lacemaking friends came for lunch too. We don't  all live close to each other so the meetings are a little longer and actually some lace gets done. This day I did a bit too much talking and having fun. And again forgot to take photos.

This year "Chrismon Sunday" was on the third Advent. Each child receives one (and some of the adults too, ha-ha). During the children's sermon Father Lee talked about the meaning of this year's. 


Since I started this blog with squirrels I should end it with them too. They are cute but also a menace in our back yard. The squirrel proof new bird feeder is not quite that.


Look at this contortionist. 


Can't blame it. Everybody has to fend for themselves. 

No comments: