Thursday, April 22, 2021

Flower Power

Yesterday the weather was so lovely that we just HAD TO visit our Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden. It's a 12 minute drive from us. You have to get tickets online so they can control the number of people in it, but that is no problem of course. We are members so its free for us. We like memberships because you don't feel like we have to spend all day to "get our money's worth". And we like to go at the spur of the moment for just a little bit.

Yes, and even outdoors masks are required. Ha-ha, during this pollen-time not a bad thing anyway.


I have never been good at taking selfies. My arms seem to be too short and I forget to take the stick (a gift from Sarah) with me. So I had to take another photo so that more of the background can be seen.


Isn't this just lovely?




Instead of taking a paper map I just took a photo of it. Have to be mindful that not too many trees have to be cut down.


First of course we have to go to the big greenhouse to see the orchids. Oh my, I can't believe I took only one photo? So much gorgeousness. 


These vines are lovely too.


Most of the daffodils are gone but there were still plenty of cute pansies.


There were also plenty of bluebells everywhere where there was shade. Just loved them. But ... they only bloom for about 2 weeks and they are poisonous to dogs. We have grand-dogs!




And we do enjoy our own garden. Every day I "make the round" a couple of times. This must be one of the very last camellias for this season. The little new ones which we planted last fall have done very well. They are late winter / early spring bloomers. Surely I have shared photos of our late fall / early winter blooming pink one. Last fall we also ordered the same kind for a different spot in our garden. It was mail-order and very small. No blooms yet but it seems to be doing well and we can looking forward to fall. 
No more space. Our camellias are complete!


And there is still the story about our rhubarb. I was so worried that I had wrecked my chances to have a little harvest this year by cutting the flower down. 


But ... hurray ... there seems to be something happening!


For retired people somehow we seem to be very busy. Trying to keep up with this blog and the quilt one too (see tab on top). I didn't even sew much this past year. There are still several Chrismon possibilities in my head. But quilting and lacemaking is pulling me. Here is a project in the making for a while which seems to get attention again. The pattern is called "Lone Star". The big one is a 34" square and the small one about 9".

And now I better get back on working on next month's newsletter for our church. 


No comments: