Sunday, April 11, 2021

This and That

So much going on. I don't understand people who complain about being bored. I consider saying that is a sin.

Of course before Easter a lot was going on anyway. Sarah unfortunately had nanny issues and we were needed (yeah!). The twins don't have school on Fridays so we had them for the day. We took them to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden which was fun. 

In the big greenhouse the orchids were in full bloom. Oh, how I got homesick for Singapore. Wonderful memories.




Uh uh, places like this are so tempting for our little adventurers but they also mind very well.


This was interesting. I thought rock cairns were only an artistic fun thing. But there is more to it.



James actually found this sign. The fern had not started growing yet. Of course tatting is one of the things I do too so I looked it up on the computer. The tatting fern's fronds really do look like something tatted. Might be nice to have one in our garden but none are available to buy in our area.


Have to brag about our William. He tested on March 26 and now has a red belt in Taekwondo. So proud of him.


Good Friday all three (from "over the river") were out of school and Sarah thought it might be better if we had one of them. Caleb spent the night from Thursday to Friday. He is such a busy boy. He wants to help. Cutting the dead daffodil heads off seem to be a treat. Then he insisted on pulling some weeds.



He also came with the wish to sew a pillow for Tuffy. He reminded me that he had sewed a blanket for Tuffy several months ago. He really did do all the sewing on my good Bernina (were I can slow the speed down). He did a super job. Picked out the fabric himself.


After Easter was spring break for the boys. Sarah was off work on Monday and Tuesday. For Tuesday she had planned to take the boys to a pottery place for each to paint a project. Of course she liked for a second adult to come along. No problem.



Things going on in our the garden too. Years ago I had planted a rhubarb which never did well where it was. When we were preparing for our patio/walkway project that flower bed had to go. I could not part with the rhubarb and relocated it. I could see right away and for the rest of the year that it liked the new place. And this spring it is coming up strongly. 

Unfortunately suddenly I saw something strange developing. I took a photo and sent it to my sister Ute in Germany which has rhubarb galore in her garden. She called to tell me it was making a flower. What? I want to harvest this year!



After much searching on the internet (Ute called it "Dr Google") I decided to fertilize the plant and cut the flower off. Please, keep your fingers crossed. I really hoped that at least one Rhubarb Crumble was in our not too distant future. 


For a short time each spring the creeping phlox makes a red carpet and looks gorgeous. But ... most likely it has to come out ... for the sake of the rest of the year.


Last Saturday we ventured to the South of the James Farmers Market which had been relocated to the Bryan Park close to us for now because of the pandemic. We had never been but I really like this new place. Of course right now there are not that many veggies to buy but all sorts of other things. 

On the way back to the car I said to James that I regretted not having bought something I had seen. Dear James volunteered right away to get it. I continued to the car because the very slow walk had started to hurt my back. Had forgotten to take pictures. This shows the nice park but not the booths much.


Gosh, how I love him.


And this is it. I had never had Elderberry Syrup. "Holunder" in Germany. My sister makes syrup from the flowers every year. Got to try it!


And this is today's effort ... just because. Got an email from a lace friend, looked at the link and had to try it. An origami heart. 


Seen on Facebook :

I think though that our age definitely has its perks too. Yeah, I am happy.


1 comment:

Happy Room Diana said...

Treat your rhubarb rough and it will grow like mad. Miy rhubarb patch is in rough ground and gets no fertiliser or treatment, i use a forcing cover to help it come along early. [metal bucket with no bottom! Love your creeping phlox.