Friday, May 25, 2012

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte

Black Forest Cherry Cake. For some time now I felt that I really wanted to bake one. Had not made one for a long time. The birthday of friend Julie C. seemed like a good opportunity so I invited her and some other friends for this afternoon.

The cake should be baked in advance like the day before. Grease and flour a round cake form lightly. I use a Springform (click on it) and line the bottom with foil (before I clamp it in). Preheat oven to 350' F.

1 stick + 1 Tbsp butter (room temp)
5 oz sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
7 oz flour
2 tsp baking powder
5 squares semi sweet chocolate
6 eggs

Grate the chocolate squares first. This used to be a pain in the ... but this time I decided to use my Vita Mix. Just threw them in and pulsed the motor. Perfect. Within seconds I had the coarse powder I wanted.

Separate egg whites and yolks. Whip the egg whites stiff. Now you can use the mixer without having to wash the beaters to whip the butter with the sugar foamy. Add the vanilla. Under constant mixing add egg yolks and chocolate and the flour mixed with the baking powder.

Carefully fold in the stiff egg whites.
Pour into the cake form and smooth. Bake 40 - 45 minutes.

For the assembly you need:
12 Tbsp Kirschwasser
200 grams (not quite a 10 oz jar) tart cherry preserves (Kroger's Private Selection is excellent)
1 can (14.5 oz) red tart cherries
1 pint heavy whipping cream
4 squares semi sweet chocolate

Start by draining the can of cherries.
Cut the cake two times so you have three layers.

Drizzle 4 Tbsp of the Kirschwasser over the bottom layer. I don't do it too close to the edge so it doesn't get soggy.

Spread the cherry preserve.

Put the second layer over it and press slightly down.

Drizzle 4 Tbsp of the Kirschwasser over the second layer.

Whip half of the whipping cream (1 cup) until it is stiff and spread over it.

Arrange the very well drained cherries over that.

Add 3rd layer of cake and press slightly down.

Drizzle 4 Tbsp of the Kirschwasser over third layer. On the top layer it doesn't soak in so fast and tries to run off. Drizzle very slowly. Put the edge of your hand next to the edge. This helps to contain it.

Whip the other half of the whipping cream. Melt the chocolate squares. I do this in the microwave. One and a half minutes at half power might do it. Stir. Don't let it get too hot or you have to wait for it to cool.

Take a little of the whipped cream and stir it into the melted chocolate. Then scrape the chocolate into the whipping cream and fold it in carefully. Spread this over the top and sides.

You can decorate it in many ways. I just spread some chocolate shavings over it but here are samples (click on it).

Some recipes say to use candied (Marachino) cherries but I think they are too sweet.


 Emily, Irma and Julie seemed to like it.

Julie was a good sport and blew out the candle.

We had such a good time eating and talking.

Whenever I use a German recipe for the first time I have to find "American Ingredients" which will work. I like to simplify things if possible. Then I have to weigh and measure like in Germany and convert those how its done in America. For example: Weigh to the right grams and then count the Tbsp. And right it down right away. Once it is mixed ... ups! I did it with this one MANY years ago ... from my best German Cookbook.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Black Forest has been my son's birthday cake of choice since he was about 4. I make it completely differently! Isn't that funny? I love the creativity of cooking! Your chocolate shavings look wonderful on top.

Christa said...

Heavens, I certainly don't hope so. It is only Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte if it has Kirschwasser in it (it's alcohol). If it doesn't have it, it is only chocolate cake with cherries. Sorry!

Kim S. said...

Looks and sounds delicious!