Friday, July 18, 2014

This and that

Saturday July 5th
After bringing Helen and William to the airport so very early in the morning I didn't really have any plans but then Sarah called asking whether I would go to the Southside Farmers market with her. I always like farmers markets so I went to her house and we went together. I really really liked it and will go again for sure. I brought back Padron peppers (or very similar) and look what tapas we had before dinner.



Monday July 7
Sarah had to work pm so she came for lunch. She likes to take "official" photos of Caleb once a month and a piece of fabric from my stash is usually the background.



She had to go in later then usual and it didn't seem worth it to drop Caleb off at the day care. So he took a nap at Omi's.



Tuesday July 8
CR quilters meeting. I gave the program on "crazy quilts - traditional and stack+whack".
I borrowed Sarah's quilt to show the traditional method. I had written a blog about it here.



This is the stack+whack quilt I had started in Singapore to incorporate a lot of my lace-bits.


We decided to do a workshop doing this in Fall. You can easily make 12 blogs in about 3 hours.


Show and tell! (I forgot to take a photo of the BOM "block of the month" though)



Show and tell also in the evening at the church mice meeting.


Ha-ha, and this I found on Facebook!   ...   Really?


Thursday July 10
Stitchers for a cause: my project ... I am making progress. I had decided on the patterns for some more rows and made them. Now the question in what sequence to arrange them. Makes a big difference.



Friday July 11
This was a very happy day! VERY HAPPY DAY! Early in the morning James had an appointment with a new orthopedic doctor ... across the river.
Here is what he wrote to his siblings:
Yesterday I met with a different orthopedic doctor. I didn't realize at first how specialized they are. The one I had been seeing is a general orthopedic doctor, the new one only works with ankles and feet so was much more knowledgable and confident in my case.

First he said that the treatment I got in Seville was excellent and the plate, screws etc that were used are exactly what he would have done here. He praised the work of the Spanish surgeon.

He then said that the bones had healed well and that it was already time to remove two of the screws. They had done their job and were already getting loose.

Next he told me I could walk on my leg without the boot/brace that I have had to wear ever since I got back from Spain.

He also said that I can expect an excellent recovery and that hiking etc will not be a problem😊

He has scheduled the surgery for screw removal for July 23. It will be same day surgery, but I will have to have a general anesthetic even though the actual operation should only take 15 mins. His only possible problem might be finding a screwdriver to fit if the Spanish screws have a different head than he is used to. But since the medical report I brought from Spain says they are Smith & Nephew screws which is a US brand he thinks it will be standard.

He says I will be fine to go on the holiday we booked months ago to Croatia and Germany leaving here August 18.

We both felt very good about him. Before the visit I had made a list of things I wanted to discuss with him but after he had looked at the X-rays he came in and answered all the questions on the list before I even asked them! Before he left the room I went down the list and didn't have any more questions - so could not have been a better result.

Now I am hobbling about trying to build up strength again in the ankle and leg. It is still a bit swollen but he said that was normal and would get better with time.

So wonderful result. I am truly blessed in having a skilled doctor in Spain, and quicker than expected healing. Now life can start to get back to normal. I can drive, shower by myself and get up and down stairs.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. We know they make a difference.
We had left at 8:30 and were back at 3:30 because he was also sent for pre-op things after lunch. But it all was so worth it.

We had been invited for dinner at friends' house at 5 (which was wonderful) and then the four of us went to the Ashland Coffee & Tea to listen to a band from Nashville. We had a great time because we love spending time with Barbara and Rob, wonderful people. And it really felt like a celebration since we had such good news.

Note: how small is the world? Helen knows the lead singer, especially his wife and child. The two mommies met in prenatal water aerobics together!
Would you like to listen to a little country music?
Video 1
Video 2
I am pretty sure videoing was allowed.


It's so funny though because the railroad goes smack through the middle of the town and every so often there is an Amtrack or a freight train you can see behind Barbara and Rob. It is not too noisy though and doesn't disturb the music.


Saturday July 12
Sarah has to work the weekend and we help Wade out by keeping Caleb in the morning. Such a hardship ha-ha-ha. Love playing with the little guy.
Video 1
Video 2






Of course having one (of our grandsons) doesn't mean you don't miss the other. Saturday evening we had a lovely experience because we did FaceTime with William. He was ready for bed and I read him a bedtime story showing him the book pages with the iPad. How cool is that?
I have to think more often now of my parents and how nice it would have been if we had had "the gadgets" way back then too. They were wonderful parents, parents-in-law, and grandparents! I must say though that even with the distance of 4000+ miles we made the best of it.

2 comments:

sophie said...

Some blistered pardons with sea salt and a glass of pinot grigio are a favorite start to a summer meal. After seeing your post, I'm off to the farmer's market to get some of my own ... James' medical report sounds very good. yay!

Kim S. said...

I think that farmer's market is the best one in the Richmond area. The Lakeside one is good, but smaller. For some reason I've stopped getting the notices in my email that you have posted a new blog. I checked my spam folder, just in case, but nothing. I tried to re-subscribe, but it wouldn't let me. I'll just have to check back regularly! Love seeing that little fellow's smile! What a sunshine boy he is!