Thursday, March 23, 2023

Asia trip Day 25 - Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan

Wednesday March 22

We were docking in Yokohama at 10:30 am. It's the harbor for Tokyo. It is a different prefecture and the second most populous city in the country. James and I (and others, ha-ha) are just in awe about Japan's bridges. 




The weather was glorious (especially after yesterdays) and we watched the arrival outside. Bummer, I missed that photo of the taller front of the ship going under that bridge. But there was a foot left in between.



There is James!


James and I had not booked a tour. We just wanted to wander about which we could do at 11:35 am when the ship was cleared by authoroties.

Our main purpose was to find out how we will get tomorrow to our hotel in Tokyo from here. We had no arrangements made for transfer with Oceania. Sorry, sometimes we can be a bit cheap. There was an information desk at the terminal and we were told that we could go from the Sakuragicho Station to Shinbashi Station in Tokyo with one transfer. That sounded good. 


So now we are seeing how to walk to Sakuragicho Station without having to do steps because of the suitcases we have to pull.

Yokohama impressed us right away. There are a lot of overpasses for pedestrians. This photo is of a ring one. There are steps of course, but also escalators or lifts for wheelchairs or baby strollers etc. 



Here, probably because it is a port with tourists, everything is labeled also in English. It is clean, practical, beautiful, with lots of green and flowers. I am so upset with myself because when I just arranged photos for this blog I noticed that I did not manage to capture the feeling about this city. One day was not enough anyway.



There was a lovely walkway along the water. Families were sitting in the grass having a picnic. There were again a lot of young ladies in kimonos with friends and family having a good time. I decided not to just take a photo, I think so close that would be rude. I did approach them with appologize and asking whether I might take a photo because they looked so beautiful. They giggled and posed for me. Since I had looked at the two left one first the third one might not have felt included and I motioned for her to join too. I thanked them and bowed and there were lots of smiles. We continued walking and just a few steps away we passed a couple which must have been parents of at least one. It seems to me that the father was thanking me for "honoring" the girls because I had said that they were so beautiful. The whole thing was a nice moment. 


At the end of that walkway there was only one major road to cross and there was the station (right behind the cherry blossom tree). Very doable tomorrow.


There was a row of ticket machines but also a ticket office and I took a photo to remember that it would open tomorrow at 9:30 am.


So, with that question satisfactorily solved we continued to walk around. We went by what we saw but also by a google map. And yes, finally some cherry blossoms.


Here was a spot with 3 or 5 making a big pink patch. We were on a bridge above and watch the birds eat something of them.


From that bridge we also some more kimonos.



And then we came to the Landmark Tower which "invited" us to the Sky Garden, an observation Deck on the 69th floor, 273 meters above the ground. Can't remember what the fee was but it was so well worth it.



 

The interactive map on the floor talked about the diverse history and culture of Yokohama on the wall in front of it ... changing wherever you stepped.





Gosh, we were thirsty. A lovely spot to quench that.

On the way up I had seen the speed sign suddenly turn red but I was not fast enough. On the way down I caught it. And my ears were popping.


We slowly made our way back to the ship. 



Close to the ship was a lovely picnic area, one of many I think.




Oh yes, tea time on board. I didn't need anything except that pot of tea. There were scones on the very top of the trolly. James said yes, no, yes, no to it.



Live music from the string quartet.


And then James said YES to a scone with clotted cream and jam, ha-ha.


Before we go to dinner we need to pack our suitecases and put them out in front of the cabin door. 
Check! Done!

Don't know what happened but dinner was not so nice. We only selected two courses because nothing was earthshaking that we needed more. And my main meal came warm not hot. The staff was wonderful every day every time and they took care of it immidiately ... but it wasn't any better. Lips sealed.

Our last main entertainment show at 9 pm was great though. First the Japanese pianist Tomono played again. So much talent.


Then the magician Leo Ward (from New Zealand) did his thing. He was amazing too. No idea how he did what he did.


On the way out we met the magician and had a nice chat with him. Part of the conversation was about Pen and Teller. Teller seems to be of failing health.

On the way to the room we met pianist Tomono and had a chat with her. She lived in London and knows Windsor well. All the entertainers on the ship are always so happy when you chat with them. I am always afraid to bother them.

Set the alarm clock for 6:40 am. We have to be out of the cabin by 8 am because the crew needs to work hard to have everything ready for the new people to come on board. Night, night.

1 comment:

Kim S. said...

Lovely young ladies! Imagine having those beautiful kimonos as your “special” clothes!

I like James’ taste. I’d ALWAYS say yes to scones with clotted cream and jam!