Sunday, September 13, 2015

Camino Day 9 - Caldas des Reis to Pontecesures

Saturday
We woke up and James looked out and saw it was raining. Weather forecast had said it would in the night but then stop in the morning. We took our time getting ready and packed up. We had found the promised sandwiches (we thought we had understood right) hanging on the doorknob and took them.
It's about 8 again when we leave and wonder what to do with the keys. We just leave them in the inside of our unlocked room and pull the other doors shut. Good thing we didn't forget anything because we couldn't have gone in again.
As soon as we were on the street we remembered that we hadn't prayed yet. Too eager. But there is no reason that we can't pray in the street either.
It only drizzled a little when we started off but if there was a little wind the trees would drop it on us. This was soon into today's journey.


Had to watch a little not to step on slugs. This one was so big that I told James I needed his shoe for comparison.



Soon we had a shower and quickly put the ponchos on which we had placed handy in the backpacks. The trouble with ponchos is that you don't get wet from the outside but could from the inside. It's hot. But ours are very roomy fitting loosely even over the backpacks.
OMG I know what Ute is going to say when she sees this picture. I had to do a double take when I saw it myself.


After a while we came to a major street and a cafė. It was very busy with peregrinos but some just left and we could sit down. 2 Coffee con leche and 1 tostadas. Oh yes, don't forget the sello for your credencial (pilgrim passport).
When we went on again we didn't have to put the ponchos on again but now we had to deal with them being wet.
Uphill into this little village.



And then more uphill uphill uphill. It was a lovely way through the forest again but I didn't take more pictures. And then downhill again. Today's height was Cortiñas 160 meters.


For a while we walked parallel to the motorway. Good thing photos don't come with noise. Altogether it was a lovely walk though.


Benches in sight ... on a covered bridge over the clearest water I have ever seen in a stream.


I did need to sit for a moment. Plus, it was a chance to sort out my socks/shoes. And my gel insoles keep sliding and misplacing themselves especially going downhill I guess. I figured it is important to pay attention to that. So far so good.
We also figured it was a good moment to see what picnic had been packed for us.


Well done!




Did you see this in the above picture on the very right?


Uphill again to a little village San Miguel de Valga. I was busy taking these pictures when James said "a wedding we just missed the bride". Then he saw that it actually had been a funeral.




We passed a cafè but didn't stop.
A way marker. See the shoes? I think somebody had a problem.


We were on the old Via Romana XIX for quite some time again.


Finally reached Pontecesures and on the hill a right turn and there is an xunta albergue (municipal). We arrived there at exactly 1 o'clock when also a young lady just arrived in her little red car and signed us in.


I think we did 15 km today. We divided the total distance remaining to Santiago into 3 days of 15 km each day so we will arrive on Monday.
We chose our bunks, showered etc. This place must be quite new. It's modern and very clean.
Now it's 3 pm and I am writing today's blog so far while using the washer and dryer. There is nobody else here so far.
*. *. *
There was nothing around the albergue so later we ventured out. I was a bit hungry. Spanish towns seem to be dead in the afternoon and a lot of things closed. On this street they seemed to get ready for a bicycle event we thought mostly for children. To the left there was a Cafè Bar. They had WiFi and we could get something to drink but nothing to eat. It even was fast internet and I could upload the pictures with the first draft.
The young man who had served us was very nice and drew us a sketch where we might find something served to eat.




He was right. Walk 10 minutes to the round-about and turn right.
We are so close to Padron. So those peppers once again.


I didn't fancy anything else on the menu because by now it's the same selection everywhere. James suggested to share a pizza. The toppings seemed so different from ours so that turned out a good choice. But it was definitely something I need to walk off tomorrow.


Time to get back to the albergue. Uphill of course.


We meet the Camino again on which we have arrived so we can find it easily. James remembers this place.


There are benches here and this is were we sat earlier for a moment because we didn't know the albergue was just around the corner.


I hadn't even seen the view then. There is a river in the middle behind the trees.


When we arrive back at the albergue there are other peregrinos. Three adults are cooking in the kitchen. They are from Bulgaria. Another middle-aged single man arrives and I think he is Spanish. He doesn't speak much English but tries to tell us that there is a food festival tomorrow in Padron. We will see.

Since there is nothing else to do I take some pictures. First James downstairs in the kitchen/commons area.


James' view: the kitchen. In most xunta albergues, if they do have a kitchen, it's empty. But here is all you need. We even saw noodles and seasoning people have left.


The showers for all and a few rooms for handycapped people are downstairs too but all other bunk beds are upstairs. I think there are 54 beds in two rooms, so our area has 26. James and I claimed the most private corner.


... nearest to the loos.


Laying on my bed. Can't sit up. But at least it seems that there will be nobody above me tonight. Those are my pants legs drying a little more.


I wanted to put a picture of James next to me in here but it was to dark when I tried to take it. The poor guy has a problem with his size under the bank.

I hope I didn't sound negative about this. It is not. It is a really nice way to experience another part of the world rather inexpensively. Perfect for young people. Especially meeting the people from other countries is nice.
No internet here. No idea when this will go off.
Night night.

2 comments:

steelersandstartrek said...

You do not sound negative at all! You sounds adventurous.

But just for you and Jaime, we have decided to modify St. Martin's center aisle so that the altar is always uphill for you. That way you will know which way you have to go!

Wonderful pictures and stories, thanks!

Kim S. said...

Charming village pictures! Nice to know you are both holding up well! We miss you and can't wait to see you! I know there must be MORE pictures and I am looking forward to seeing all of them!