Sunday, June 10, 2018

British visit Day 2 - 4

Tuesday June 5

This week is going to be very leisurely. We don't really have an agenda. And since we can not just go to the lido deck for lunch or so we do have to go shopping for example.

The weather is nice and we decided to have lunch as our main meal of the day. James grilled sausages and we enjoyed sitting outside. Kate and Dave love spying our birds.


In the evening the four of us had volunteered to babysit so Sarah and Wade could have a date. 4 adults for 3 children. We should be able to manage.

When we arrived they were enjoying a homemade popsicle. 






When the twins were in bed we ate the picnic we had brought with us in a cooler. Kate had made sandwiches and we had salad in single containers too.


Wednesday June 6

I couldn't blog when we were on the cruise because of the lack of WiFi but I had written the texts every day. Back home now I had been busy finishing those blogs and had neglected to write every day what we did. Now I have to remember what did when. No pictures for Wednesday. Really?

But we remembered: we had asked Julie and Irma to join us for dinner. Julie had hosted "the British" when they came for Sarah's wedding 6 years ago. Irma had hosted "the Germans". Wonderful friends and neighbors. I had cooked an easy chicken wild rice casserole with the spinach salad. I had baked some cranberry bars in the afternoon and David made his custard sauce to go with it. A good idea. It was a very lively and fun evening.


Thursday June 7

First thing in the morning (9:20 am) I had an appointment at my ortho doctor about my bum knee. He decided I should get another injection into it. I was home in no-time.

While we were in Nashville, the beaver quilt we had hung up with magnets had fallen down. I decided I wanted it hanging on a curtain rod like the one on the high wall. We can change the quilts easily without a ladder. The magnet system is really great for hanging when it is not so high, when a kitchen ladder is good enough.

David was very eager for a job so he and James walked to our friend Larry to borrow his ladder. 



Yeah! All done!


James talked forever about the tomato pie his mother used to make (not a pie at all but with white bread and cheese sauce). Kate had volunteered even before they arrived to make it one night. I was eager to learn. 




First layer of tomato and cheese sauce. Second layer coming.


Since this house has WiFi there is the occasional FaceTime-ing. Probably Helen and William this time. Helen is a bit sad that she can't see her Uncle and Aunt but she and William were in England last year so it was Sarah's turn this time.


After 5 o'clock. I asked Bec via FaceBook what this might be. She guessed correctly but asked where the garnish was.


Here is the dinner!!! Thank you Kate! Nothing was left over, ha-ha.



Pudding time. I found some plums I had frozen and Kate took care of cooking them. Dave made his custard again. Yummy!



This will now forever called the custard pot. Perfect.