Wednesday, June 27, 2018

This and that

I probably will write that in installments (between working on our monthly church newsletter).

There is not really that much to report but as I said about my last blog: life is about the little things. The Colonial Lacemakers changed their monthly meeting to be on a Thursday this time and yes, I could attend. The meeting was in Williamsburg and Christina comes from even further away, almost driving past so offered to pick me up. I had my things in this bag ... bought in Cuba. Oh, the memories.


And I had a minute to look at my flowers. Where are the geraniums? There should be 5 overflowing the pot right now. The hail, rain, and more hail and more rain really beat on them. Sigh.


The meeting was at Carolyn's and I remember having seen - and admired longingly - her kitchen garden. Should I put it on my Christmas wishlist? We had a large pot one year outside with a steady supply of salad and I loved it. But salad doesn't like to grow outside in summer in this heat. Yes, I loved it. This is hydro-culture. 


On Friday we helped Sarah out. She had been scheduled to work in the afternoon but had to change to the morning and had no nanny for that time. There was a break in the rain and we went for a walk. Unfortunately I had to leave them after a while and return to the house. My knee is just not letting me.


I am sick of being a couch potato. Saturday I suggested to James to go to the VMFA. There is always a special exhibition to see. 

But first we had lunch downstairs. It's a cafeteria and we sat outside. Very nice.



The exhibition was about Napoleon and more interesting than we expected, ha-ha. I really was impressed with this panorama done with pencil and gouache. And we always like to read the signs.



There was a lot to see. Not so much about Napoleon himself but people around him and the lifestyle. James called me over to see this! The explanation why some pieces in the family silver have the emblem engraved on the "backside". Looks like we laid the table wrong all these years. Forks and spoons are laid the other way!



Later, when we had coffee on the back porch, we got visited by this guy. Probably 4 feet long he (or she?) came all the way to the edge of the concrete and raised its head. Almost cute, really. Unfortunately I could not get a photo fast enough. When I got up to look it was gone REALLY fast. And I didn't mean bad.


Sunday we had to go "over the river" for me to get an MRI on my knee at 5 pm. Since we were there anyway we stopped to see the kids afterwards. Caleb insisted for us to stay and have hotdogs for dinner. What grandparent can refuse?





Tuesday we saw them again to say good-bye. We brought dinner over to their house. These were the vegetable sides: zucchini pizza. Slice zucchini in half. Brush some oil on. Some seasoning like oregano if desired, spaghetti sauce (which usually has enough seasoning) and cheese on top. Bake at 400' for 20 minutes. I liked it very much. Sarah would like the zucchini sliced a little thinner. We could try slicing rounds to make appetizers.


Yuck! Don't like to find things like this in the bathroom at bedtime, just the body about 2 inches. What the heck is it? James took care of it.



Today, Wednesday, I had a 9 am appointment with my Ortho doctor. He looked at the MRI and we were told that the arthritis had progressed but I had also meniscus tears. Actually, there are two menisci in each knee and both are torn in my left one. I was told it depends on me whether I can live with it or have an arthroscopic "clean up". Since the tears are most likely degenerative at my age, a repair is probably not possible. He also told me that I don't have to do anything special because I can't make it worse. For the pain I will consult my pharm dr daughter.

Now, time to pack the suitcase. William is waiting.


2 comments:

Happy Room Diana said...

My knee led to an arthroscopy which helped for a while, but knee replacement was inevitable. I’m glad I have had both replaced now.

Kim S. said...

So sorry about the knee! As much as you all like to be on the "go", I know it is a real hardship for you.